Tuesday 2 December 2014

Filling empty space with words

Have you ever been walking with someone and instantly their is silence you think of something to say yet no words come out? How would you react?


When faced with this situation I freak out and start going off trying to fill the silence with words. It usually starts with " It's really cold today," or " I'm so tired," and then I think of anything I could possibly say because I find it necessary to have a conversation going all the time or else I seem boring or awkward to talk to.


Before this year I never used to question not saying anything I cannot remember if it happened or how frequently it happened but now I know it happens everyday and I always blame myself for not thinking up something to talk about or not having anything interesting to talk about.

But is it just me and it doesn't really matter at all?


The greatest test of friendship is to sit or walk for an hour with a friend and not say a word yet not tire from each others company. 



This quote was written in my Religion classroom (until someone changed it to sit on a friend). This made me realise that perhaps I am overthinking in these situations, if they didn't want to walk with me to class surely they would just walk away. Perhaps silence is more meaningful than saying words with no meaning?




3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post. I love the quote at the end.
    Sigh...life can be difficult, sometimes I too get caught in situations where I'm stuck for words. Never ever blame yourself for the silence, words don't really matter that much, it's the company that does. :)
    June
    The Journeys of My Beating Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always come up with the most inspiring ideas J. It's true, it is the company that matters and I am going to miss yours a lot next year. :(

      Delete
  2. Ok how have I not seen this before today? Because this post is literally SO RELATABLE!! I feel this way freakin all the time, or I used to anyway. I guess it's fine to not say anything, because remember you're just as worthy as the other person, and if they're clearly not trying to fill the not-even-awkward silence, then neither should you. I mean, if you have something to say, go for it. Otherwise, you really don't have to.

    As for that last quote, you know what one of my friends said in response? "It never said you can't go on your phone" :') Sorry. But I actually seriously don't like that quote.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete